Sunday 23 September 2012

The Power of Three

Synopsis


Small black cubes appear all over the world, as if they have rained down from the sky, overnight. At first they appear benign until...


Analysis


Now this is more like it! A sci-fi story which grabbed me from the get-go and kept me glued to the TV until the final credits (unlike Mrs M, who had a tummy related incident which resulted in an overlong stay in the bathroom, but that's by the by...).

As usual I'll start with the elements that didn't quite work:

Alan Sugar (Sir)
The use of 'real' BBC newreaders on the 'real' BBC set was a nice touch when it was first used back in 2005 but it's really tired now. Likewise the appearances of Prof. Brian Cox and Sir Alan Sugar in their little vignettes. It's been overused to the point of screaming 'filler!' at me. The Doctor 'timewasting' was also blatant filler (to keep a football in the air for 5,000,000 kicks would, at a conservative estimate take almost 58 days at a constant 1 second per kick...I couldn't resist doing the maths!).

What I call 'Torchwood' editing. The drop-frame / speeded-up panning effect was used a few times here, and I find it really obtrusive. As someone with considerable video editing experience myself to me the 'effect' looks like a fault! If any of my students handed in a piece to be graded with an effect like that I would ask them to take it away and do it properly.
Fred Perry (not Sir)

Finally The Doctor's constant name dropping; in this episode it was regarding Fred Perry and his shorts. I think after 49 years we've established you're a time-traveller and have met all sorts of celebs...stop rubbing it in, especially with these ridiculous (and unfunny) non-sequiteurs.

And the good stuff...


Most of the rest! Those of you who read my posts know that I'm not the biggest fan of the Ponds but they were tolerable in this episode. I like how they've aged (10 years already!), and Karen Gillan actually looks older (makeup?)...Rory's quiff is a bit tragic, mind.

UNIT returns, and not only that there is a Lethbridge-Stewart back in charge! Kate Stewart, played by Jemma Redgrave (yes, of THOSE Redgraves) is probably best known for playing the lead role in the historical medical series 'Bramwell' is a character I would like to see, along with the new UNIT, recurring in future. A science-led UNIT has such possibilities...

Mark Williams as Rory's dad always makes me laugh. His most famous role is probably that of Mr Weasley in the Potter franchise, but in the UK he was known as a comic actor prior to that. Say to anyone of a certain age 'we wanna be together' in a Black Country accent and they'll know what you mean! I hope he isn't a 'not what he seems' character though...I've read rumours that he may be The Master, The Meddling Monk, Borusa, K9 and all kinds of nonsense! Please no!

The video here is adult only!


The episode wrap-up was a small let-down, with the ship being destroyed to quickly and easily...waving the Sonic screwdriver at random pieces of business to 'fix' them is becoming overused and annoying. Personally I would like to see the thing destroyed but think of the loss of toy sales for BBC Enterprises (hands up who has their own?). And what about the other people who were on the ship...did they all get out through the lift before it exploded?

Overall this episode had a very Torchwoody feel about it, which is no surprise as it was written by Chris Chibnall. It had a substance that was lacking in the previous story which, as I said above, engaged me from beginning to end. By far the best story of the season thus far and I score it as:

88 / 100 

Can't wait until next week and bye bye Ponds!

No comments:

Post a Comment